Walking Tour of Historic Palmyra
Click the image to the right for a self-guided tour brochure (PDF) through the historic village of Palmyra.
On the walking tour of Court Square in the historic village, the 1830 Courthouse sits overlooking the Confederate Park and faces the New Fluvanna Courthouse, built in 2001.
The Historic 1830 Courthouse
The historic Courthouse in Palmyra is often referred to as the Acropolis of Fluvanna, due to its classic architectural design, built in 1830 by General John Hartwell Cocke and Reverend Walker Timberlake. The Courthouse has been preserved and remains a symbol of the architecture of the early 19th century in Virginia. Today the Courthouse is used for meetings and lectures and historical tours and is part of the Historic Landmark District of Palmyra Court Square.