Please Join the Fluvanna Historical Society 11 November 2023 for a program called, “At Rest: Cemetery History, Law, and Preservation.” The program will provide opportunities to learn about Christopher McPherson, a free black man of the early 19th century, and his possible connection with Fluvanna cemeteries.
- Dr. Ryan K. Smith, Professor of History, Virginia Commonwealth University—see the project on Richmond cemeteries.
- Dr. Benjamin P. Ford, Principal Investigator, Rivanna Archaeological Services—see the project on the Brown/Carr Family Cemetery.
- Joanna Wilson Green, Archaeologist, and Katherine (“Kate”) Ridgeway, Archaeological Conservator, Virginia Department of Historic Resources—see the DHR programs on cemetery and archaeological preservation.
- Historic Free Hill Cemetery and (separately) Oak Hill Cemetery.
- Columbia Baptist Church, 116 Rivanna St, Columbia, VA 23038.
- Saturday 11 November 2023 from 10 AM to 3 PM
- Registration is free, but attendance is limited. To register (or for more information) please (a) send an email to FluvannaHistory@gmail.com or (b) call or send a text message to 434.390.1218.
- Lunch from Tinsley’s Catering will be provided by the Fluvanna Historical Society.
Download a copy of the flier as an image suitable for printing.